Between El Paso and Marfa is absolute desolation, lacking even the hum of oil rigs to give purpose to the expanse. Jeff Bezos built a space port out here with the sole objective to literally get as far and above the land as possible. Some pranksters build a Prada store to heighten the dissonance. John Madden stopped once at the only restaurant within hundreds of miles and that place still clings to its sole identify surrounding that visit.
It's rugged, simple, lonely. The beans should match the occasion.
In the Instant Pot, sauté until you're bored:
- A couple small yellow onions, diced
- A few small carrots, diced
- 2 tsp of cumin because that's Mexico just right over there.
- Fuck it, the whole tube (3oz) of harissa paste
- 2 cups (1 lb) black beans
- 1 tsp salt